Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Laura's Questionnaire

Name: Laura Shumar

1. Do you have a Ravelry ID? VeryBadDogs

  1. What is your skill level (beginner, intermediate, advanced)? Advanced

  2. What are your favorite yarns to work with? Least favorite? I like natural fibers - especially merino wools and silk blends. I haven't worked with as much cotton and linen as I probably should. Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport and Gems Merino are two yarns I use a lot, but there are plenty of others that I like! I prefer my sock yarns to be 100% wool, but so many fun yarns are blended with nylon and other synthetics that I've reconciled to using them. I'm not fond of synthetics, and I haven't done much with novelty yarn.
  1. What are your favorite types of projects to work on? Socks! Bags, baskets, hats, shawls, and sweaters are all on the list, but socks are the easy favorite. I like projects that give me a chance to try something new - a new yarn, or a new technique.

  2. What is your favorite color? Blue, Purple, and Green

  3. Are you a sock knitter? Yes! I wear handmade socks all winter.
  1. What technique or skill are you working on? Finishing my @#&$%$@# projects. Lace knitting.

  2. What technique or skill would you like to learn? Cutting steeks and sweater blocking. And one of these days I want to make some cute little knit flowers. Oh, yeah - dyeing sock yarn.
  1. What book or pattern are you anxious to have? None leap to mind right now.

  2. Do you have any allergies your pal should be aware of? Cats
  1. What are your non-knitting hobbies or interests? History, reading, lampwork, baking, lots of other types of textile/needlework, travel.

  2. What kinds of knitting accessories have caught your eye lately? One never has too many knitting bags, eh? And it turns out row counters get chewed up by dogs. I'm starting to want some nice needles - but I've been resisting temptation because of the dogs.
  1. Have you filled out a Wish List at River Knits? No.
  2. Do you have an Amazon Wish List? Yes, here.
  3. How do you like to spend your “down time”? Reading (historical novels, some science fiction, and just about anything else), watching TV (Battlestar Galactica, Firefly [I've just started to work through the DVDs], Good Eats), playing with my dogs, knitting.

  4. Do you have any “guilty pleasures”? I'm very selective about my chocolate, because it gives me migraines, but the good dark stuff is worth the risk. I like yummy baked goods and creamy desserts in general. It's hard to beat good bread and cheese as a snack, especially with a nice glass of wine. But I'm not above indulging in Chef Boy-ar-Dee pizza, either. And I just bought an iPod.
  5. Who is in your home/family? One live-in boyfriend (for the next 4 months), two bad dogs.

  6. What are your favorite scents? Spices and light florals, lavender and lilac, fresh, clean scents.

  7. What are your favorite treats? Everything above - plus gummi bears, mixed nuts, and SweetTarts (but not the orange ones).

  8. If you didn’t knit, what would you do? More schoolwork? And probably a lot more embroidery. I'd watch less TV, too. And maybe take up smoking.

No comments: